Bùth Bharraigh is a local produce community co-operative run by volunteers. With the help of a grant from Big Lottery: Investing in Ideas, a feasibility study was set up in 2012 to ensure that there was a need for such a shop. After a successful Christmas, the Bùth Bharraigh re-opened in April 2013 and has been going ever since. In October 2013 it became a company limited by guarantee with co-operative principles, then on 7th December 2013 it moved to it's current location, the old co-op building in Castlebay.
Bùth Bharraigh is all about providing opportunities for the island residents as well as meeting the needs of both the local and visiting customers. We have several aims, including:
- To develop close and strong relationships with local sustainable food growers and producers, providing local businesses with new and/or increased revenue streams
- To encourage enterprise and diversification of crofts
- To make local produce more accessible to both residents and visitors
- To boost the local economy by keeping money on the island - every £1 spent on a local product generates £2.59 for the local economy. The same £1 spent in a supermarket only generates £1.40
- To provide meaningful volunteer and work placements
- To provide complimentary services that are not available on the island
- To help make the island more sustainable and confidant
Currently, we are self-sustaining without any grant funding. In order to keep costs down, many items within the shop are upcycled and the majority of work is carried out by volunteers. This means a high percentage of the money spent in the Bùth goes to the producers! We currently have over 80 suppliers, including both individuals and community groups. If you would like to become one of our many producers, please look at our Becoming a Producer page - producers of all ages are welcome and in our opinion, the more the merrier!
The Bùth also provides work placements and volunteer opportunities - if you wish to become involved with either of these activities, please take a look at the Volunteer page and get in contact with us. We'll see what we can do for you!